Friday 21 December 2012

Healthy Eating....how we fool ourselves!

Most of us must have got into the hype of 'Healthy Eating' in our lives at one time or another and I must admit, I am no exception. Few people can carry on eating healthily for years.. hats off to them, but unfortunately, I do not fall into that category. I keep getting into it and there is always something tempting enough to drag me out of it... Weekends, days out, any festive events, get togethers.. and if there is nothing, my self-pity creeps up ' oh Poor me, I should treat myself more often'. Piles of junk food, months of treats go by, getting into my own jeans starts to feel like an exercise in itself and finally when I get into them somehow, two muffin tops greet me from the two sides of my waist " oh hello there, we are your new friends". Bitter realisation hits me hard and then I tell myself ' oow woman! You don't want to keep those friends for too long, get ready to bid them goodbye'. Back to greens,salads and fruits and the same cycle goes over and over again.

I was talking to one of my friends yesterday and he mentioned that he had cheeseburger for dinner. Before I even opened my mouth, he added with a sense of guilt, " It was a healthy burger though, I had lettuce and tomato in it". I couldn't stop myself from laughing.. Somebody tell me, how does adding a leaf of lettuce and a slice of tomato to a fried burger with cheese make it any healthier? You still eat the grease and fat in it, right? Come on, if you actually want to think that you eat healthy, don't eat Cheese burger, my friend!

Grocery shopping takes up a good part of my sunday. As we are talking about healthy eating, lets go for 'healthy grocery shopping'. I see crowds of people around everything with labels 'light' or 'diet'. Light cheese spreads, low fat crisps, diet cola, and even light ice-cream, and low fat cakes. WHY?? Yes, they are 'low fat' and 'light' but how light could a light ice-cream be? How healthy can a low fat cake be?If you are actually counting your calories, do yourself a favour sweetheart, don't eat JUNK!Although it is lighter JUNK, it is still JUNK.
Don't we just fool ourselves?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment